What the fish fry is all about...


Evolution and creativity lead to interesting concepts that need to be shared. That is what the Fish Fry is about. These two boards come from the same blood lines some 40 years apart . It's great to see people pushing the boundries and trying new things with a twist. 

Local Gold Coast board collector Carl Tanner shared one of his interesting boards with us last year. A Bear Mirandon Twin Pin. A very interesting board to say the least. I sent the pic off to find out a little more about it and here is the reply ...

My name is Croyde Mirandon and I am one of Nicholas' sons. This is a Surfboards La Jolla twinpin from my father and his brother Barry's company. That was shaped anytime between 65'-69' I suppose. My father created the twinpin / twinfin concept and Bear and him refined it together along with the bottom curve and nose template...long story. I am currently working on a book on them I have to put the real story out there...it is a good one! There was an article on them a couple of issues back in the surfers journal that shows some other boards and tells a little bit of the story and their is a new web site that is in the works but you can check it out www.surfboardslajolla.com. I am not sure when it will be done...
I can tell you that my father and Bear have been busy shaping these days and are doing Balsa twinpins, a bit of Redwood and doing some replica and more modern twinpin boards as well. I have been surfing these and loving it...
My father, my brother Eli and I have also been working on a new board concept for some years that is based on a design that my uncle did in the 70's. The porpoise board. The new boards are under our line called Mirandon Surfboards and can be seen on www.mirandonsurfboards.com. The boards are like nothing else and perform amazingly...it is a feeling in surfing for me. Eli has a video teaser on the site so that you can see an couple of turns on one if the boards. Also Eli is shaping the Mirandon fish his design for a fish and  they are going great as well...
Would you happen to have a contact for the gentlemen that owns the surfboard in the photos? i would like to maybe interview him for the book...thanks for any info...
have a look at those sites and thanks you for the e-mail!
regards
Croyde
also my father can be reached at 858 204 7005 and Eli can be reached at 858 945-8733

When you look at the Mirandon pin twin and the Bob Simmons hull shaped way back , you can be inspired to do many things. So bring your new ideas and if you have some classics like Carl share them as well. That's what the Fish Fry is all about . Fishes.