6'9" Maui & Son




Size: 6'9" X 19 1/4" X 2.5"

This board looks like a millon and one other thrusters that you'll find on the racks of your local surfshop. It probably falls into the category of big boy or executive model. Sure enough when you flip it over it has the standard boxy rails and single to double concave. The thruster fin cluster is a bit more spread out than the Hawaiian standard. Making the board a bit stiffer but much drivier.

As usual, I dispense with the cheap plastic fins and put in a decent pair of glass fins from the off. My first wave on this board was a head high wave at my local beach. It was high tide and there was a huge backwash. I caught the wave just as the backwash hit, the wave immediately doubled up, I dropped down the face backhand grabbing the rail. This board held in like nothing else I have ever experienced. I experienced similar things with this board many times, there is a certain touch of magic to it. The board also turns really well too and is nice & drivey through the turns.

My friend rides this board as his main ride now and has confirmed everything I have to say about it. I examined the board closely to see what is different. The only thing unusual is that the rails near the fins are not quite as sharp as you will find on other boards.
The only problem with this board, and it's a pet hate of mine is that the board is glassed really lightly. You only have to look at it and it dings. Currently the board has the same texture as a golf ball! I have even repaired a snapped nose. The paint job is pretty unique also.

I got this board from my friend Jason who picked it up in Taiwan from a factory there, so its probably 90% machine 10% hand finish.
I will be trying to copy this board, and build an exact replica for for Sean and myself, I just hope I can capture the magic.

This board should be a 5, even with that paint job. However the glass job has taken a mark off it.

Rating: 4/5