Surfboard Art

This is what first got me interested in the idea of functional art. All of my boards looked the same, white foam with a sand finish. I wanted to personalized my surfboards so they did not look just like everyone else's, so I decided to paint them. Surfboards are a great canvas and this was a fun and easy way to incorporate art into my daily life. I realized art does not have to be a delicate oil painting stuck on a wall, it can be tangible and common without depreciating the value and beauty of the work. I believe art should be interacted with and a surfboard is a great example of just that. So I will stop myself there from going on a huge tangent. But, here are some of the surfboards i have painted over the past couple of years. Three of the boards are mine and the sword fish and crane bird are my friends' boards. Last I heard the sword fish board was snapped in half and left in Tahiti somewhere. Not a bad place be.


Enjoy.