Shaun Tomson twin fin

Shaun at Fistral for the Fosters, early 80s
Gee sent in photos of this great early 80s Shaun Tomson twin fin, which he picked up recently and had restored by Will Eastham in Newquay. Looks sweet now, and Gee even sourced an original pair of multi fins for it. Actually the first time I met Gee he was buying some multi fins off me - with a knackered 80s board attached. This is the first Shaun to crop up since I started the blog, so I guess they're pretty rare now. I've seen a guy surfing one at Godrevy - he said he bought it new in the early 80s and has just had it restored to ride again. South African Shaun Tomson was one of the legends of the Freeride late 70s era and into the 80s, and was world champion - but you probably know all this. His boards were distributed over here by an agent in Jersey - I think Steve Harewood of Freedom had something to do with it, and were sold in a few surf shops on 'the mainland'. The early 80s was a big time of pro model boards so Shaun, MR and Cheyne, being surf superstars of the time, all had pro models. This one has Clark foam and a classic early deck grip. I'm not sure who the board was shaped by. It sounds like Gee has some really interesting boards in his collection, mainly twin fins, which I hope we'll get to see. 1981 Rabbit and prawn at the '81 Gul Alder at Fistral
With Steve Harewood in Jersey, 1981. Thanks to a helpful contributor below, we learn that Tomson models were shaped by Steve Harewood at Jersey, and Steve even shaped Shaun's comp boards for the european leg of the tour in the early 80s.